My dear family and friends,
Thank you for such a marvelous Christmas vacation in Oregon. I am still reliving every moment and cherishing every memory we had with each of you. Brant and I really felt like we made the very best of every day, filling them up with fun activities, each different from the last. The time, of course, went much too quickly, but was well spent.
Many of you asked me personally, "How do you like it over there?" My response was generally the same: "It is not home. It is fast paced and busy. There are rude cashiers at the stores and the drivers are no better. I do not like New Jersey. My job is mundane and not stimulating. This is a season, and I know we are supposed to be here, but that doesn't make it any easier."
I've been thinking over this response I gave you for a few days, now. We are back in Princeton. We have unpacked our suitcases and packed up our Christmas decorations. We have filled our cupboards with food once again. Brant started his new class this morning, and I will be going to work in a little bit. We are back.
But you know what? I am disappointed in my response up above. I know I gave that response from my heart, and out of emotion of finally being home in the NW, surrounded by everyone and everything I love, during the most sentimental and nostalgic time of year. However, those are all just really good excuses. Princeton isn't that bad.
~I have already seen a few of my friends out here since we returned and I am remembering why I have started to call them "friend."
~My apartment is super cute and I really like how I have decorated it.
~I missed Tucker more than I realized and am thrilled to be with him again. He is cuter than I remembered!
~I am *slightly* looking forward to going to work today, to have some conversations with a few colleagues about our vacation.
~Brant is making his way through the school year in excellent fashion and stride and I am excited to continue watching him succeed.
~We were invited to our friends' house for dinner this coming weekend.
~Downtown Princeton is always fun to walk through, even when it is 5 degrees outside!
~Our home is cozy with so many pretty candles lit up, making it warm and inviting to be in.
~I'm excited for the possibility of more great snow, now that our cross-country traveling has past for awhile. Apparently, our neighborhood was covered in well over 12 inches when we were gone!
~Our car is awesome. It is red. It is safe. It is red. Lots of things! I just love it and I missed it.
Princeton isn't that bad.
I just wanted to clear my mind of what I've been thinking the past few days. I miss the NW greatly, and I miss all of you even more. Its already January and time is moving along! Meanwhile, I need to keep my chin up and truly enjoy what I have here now.
Just to be clear. :)
Jackie,
ReplyDeleteThere will be a time when you look back and remember this period in your life with great memories. There is a reason you are there. I am glad that you are looking positively at being in NJ. We had a great time while you were here and will really miss not being able to give Maddie a hug and a kiss for awhile.
Welcome back! You were missed.
ReplyDeleteJackie,
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you. Way to look for the positive! There are always two ways to look at things and I am so proud of you for seeing the many wonderful things that are happening. One thing you didn't mention: God is using you in more ways than you know. He is using you as a wonderful Mama to Miss Maddie. He is using you as an essential and tremendous supporter to your husband. He is using you as a cheerful friend. And He is using you as a witness to people on this blog. Never forget that He is directing your path.
You're doing it! You're there and can see the fun things ahead. I am so proud of you!! :)
Love you more than you know,
Sarah
Perspective is everything. I'm glad you are able to see your situation from another angle now that you are back after having spent Christmas vacation in the Northwest. You are a gifted hostess, an excellent friend, and amazing wife and mother. You will be that where ever you may go. We miss you a lot and I am very thankful for the time we spent together, as well as the time with Maddie Mae (oh, and Brant, too!) :) Love, Amber
ReplyDeleteI understand those exact feelings Jackie. Some times I speak and then wonder if what I said was what I meant, or if I was speaking mostly from my emotions. But don't worry, we all know your heart, and we know that God is using you in an amazing way, as well as continuing to grow you and stretch you so that everyday you will look more and more like him. And believe me, you are looking mighty beautiful! Love you.
ReplyDeleteJackie. Friend. Best Friend.
ReplyDeleteI love you. I agree with completely. I feel the same way at times living away from my family (not the east coast for sure) but it is in these times that we grow in our own family. In fact I have always loved how when I moved down here and didn't want to, you encouraged me and said it is an adventure and change is change..enjoy it..love it..experience it! I absolutely LOVED seeing you and Maddie in the San Francisco airport for just a couple hours but it was refreshing to see you. God is using you and in ways you don't even know! I miss you and I REALLY hope we can make it out there before summer. I want to see your beautiful home. I love you friend. Love, Lori