Monday, August 24, 2015

Maddie Mae: 1st grader!

Where did the time go??

That is SO cliche and I almost don't like to admit it, but I think this way too!  I have a 1st grader, who I swear was just born yesterday.  But rather than nostalgically hang on to memories of the past, reflecting on what has been, I'm looking forward.  I'm looking at what is and what is to come.
This girl.  Maddie is our firecracker.  She lights up a room with her personality, always quick to tell everyone about everything going on in her life.  If there is music on, Maddie will twirl and dance, and perform for us.  If there is no music on, well, she will continue to twirl and dance, and perform!   Her reading skills have soared and it is rare for her to go more than two hours without a book in her hands.  She has been devouring the chapter books we put in front of her, and are excited to see what new series she is introduced to this year!

Maddie told me she is most excited about going to recess and eating lunch at school.  But then she thought about it, and said she is really looking forward to Math.  My child?!?  I am so happy to watch her love for learning only continue to flourish and grow.  Maddie was holding my hand as we walked along the sidewalk to school, this morning.  She is wearing her brand new outfit, complete with new pink shoes, "Frozen" backpack and lunchbox, and accessorized with her dazzling smile.  At one point, I looked at her and asked how she was doing.  She turned up and smiled real big, said, "Well, I kind of have butterflies.  But I'm a first grader, now.  So I don't have anything to be afraid of.  It's going to be so much fun!"

Maddie is very social and loves to make friends.  We already knew in advance of a few friends from last year who would be in her class.  She was pretty pumped to discover that she is sitting next to one of her best friends from her class last year!  It's always fun to return to school with friends, and she has assured me that she wants to also meet the new kids in her class who might not have been at her school last year.  I pray that she only continues to keep her heart open to all those around her.  What a gift!
Oh!  And just like last year, Maddie is starting this first day of school with 2 loose teeth!  Both of her top middle teeth are getting close to coming out.  They aren't hanging by a thread, but they are certainly wiggling.  We will see if she has two holes in her smile on picture day next month!
We are SO excited about the 1st grade, and we were happy to finally meet Maddie's teacher this morning: Mrs. Bracci.  I know it is going to be a fabulous year!!
Happy first day of 1st grade, Maddie Mae!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment