Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Santa Barbara, and then some

Following my trend of delaying posts until a few months have past, I thought it high time for me to get back into the swing of things...I would apologize for such a delay, but I don't think anyone checks my blog anymore, so who am I really apologizing to?

At the end of July, we were blessed with a last minute visit from Dale and Martha, who were traveling through Pasadena, on their way home from vacation. We had a wonderful weekend together, filled with conversation, trips to the park, yummy eating, an impromptu trip to the hospital, and a fabulous day trip up to Santa Barbara! They only stayed with us for a long weekend, but it was still a joy to have them in town, even if for a short while.
As mentioned above, we took a day trip up to Santa Barbara, to explore the beautiful beach city. First of all, HIGHLY recommend a visit to Santa Barbara if you ever get the chance. I look forward to going back for multiple days, and really being able to sink my teeth into the charms of the city. We had every intent of leaving for this day trip at a decent time in the morning. However, my body had plans of its own. There is no need to get graphic, so have no fear - you can continue reading - but I was having some spotting issues that morning and my doctor asked me to go into the hospital to be checked on and monitored, so we could be assured nothing was wrong with me or the baby. The whole ordeal ended up taking close to 3 hours, including travel time, but the good news for all of us was that there was no need for concern. I was SO thankful that Dale and Martha were in town, because we had instant babysitting covered for Maddie, so Brant could be with me during the hour+ long check-up. Maddie charmed all of the patients and nurses walking in and out of the waiting room, with an exuberant, "hi!!"

Due to our set-back, we ended up having our picnic lunch 5 minutes away at Griffith Park (in Hollywood, which is also where our hospital is located), rather than in Santa Barbara (still 1 1/2 hours away). We enjoyed a delightful lunch, particularly because I was at ease with what was going on with my pregnancy and could enjoy the rest of the day.

Our time in Santa Barbara, although cut short, was still fantastic. We settled nicely onto the beach, enjoying the absolutely spectacular scenery, while soaking in the sunshine, playing in the waves, throwing the foxtail around and flying a kite. It was very peaceful. Maddie is definitely our water baby. She loves, loves, loves the water, and the ocean is no exception. Grandpa Dale had to put her in her place a time or two, making sure she understood who was in charge. This was particularly crucial as she would not hesitate to tromp out into the coming waves. She came to the quick understand that Grandpa was serious. Thank goodness for Grandpa! :)
Brant and Maddie flew his kite together. She has never paid much attention to it before, but on this particular trip, she was very intrigued and excited to hold the string. She wasn't too keen on Daddy holding it with her, but finally managed to share the load.




We found a fun pizza parlor to eat dinner at, and afterwards, took a stroll down the pier. It was full of shops, charm and beach-town atmosphere. Thank you, Dale and Martha, for another wonderful time in Southern California! We love you!

Okay, blog. Although this picture is no longer up-to-date, here I am, in all my 22 week pregnant glory! (As I write this, I am now, approximately 33 1/2 weeks along!)And finally, a picture of my sweetheart and me, enjoying the evening glow from the pending sunset. Santa Barbara, we fully intend to meet again. Thank you for welcoming us so.

1 comment:

  1. what a fun trip! Oh my GOSH maddie is absolutely adorable!!! I cannot get over it. Miss all of you.

    ReplyDelete